We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Saturday, May 31, 2014

Think Pink

A big "Grazie mille" to everyone who lit candles, sent up a prayer to the heavens and/or extended positive energy on my behalf yesterday.  Your efforts were very much appreciated.  Many of you have sent emails and messages asking if I had received any word on how the voting went. Again, thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts. I spent a very anxious day yesterday waiting to hear something.

I mentioned that I had zero expectations. I take that back. I fully expected the results of the vote to be a big resounding rejection. They had no good reason that I could think of to take me into the group. I had not had breast cancer surgery. Even though according to the by-laws they could vote in "supporting members", in my opinion I didn't cast a compelling reason to grant me that status either. I am not Venetian. Why in the world would they need to have an outsider in their midst?  And, I am not fluent in Italian, nor in Venetian.  Why bother to deal with someone who can't readily communicate with you?  If I were them- seriously- I would have cast a negative vote. So you can see I had convinced myself there was not going to be a  happy ending out of this for me.

Late yesterday afternoon, I received an email from Donatella.  I almost had a heart attack when I read it. Donatella's note announced that  the ladies had voted to  welcome me into their squad. That's right. I am now Venice's newest Pink Lioness. We celebrated last night.

This morning, there was another email from Donatella, this time she opened the message with "Ciao, Lionessa".  That's me- a lionessa!

I need to buy something pink.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic.

Anonymous said...

In English, we should call you the Pink Panther (which was the name of a large pink diamond) because you are a real gem. We have lived with your dreams of moving to Venice and watched as your life there unfolded. Now you are gradually becoming one of them and it has nothing to do with candles or prayers: a well-deserved consequence of your efforts to lead Venice's complicated life. Auguri, Karen, and many more steps up the ladder.
Jane

karen said...

Grazie, Jane, your words mean the world to me.

Kaye said...

I just knew something good was happening! Congrats!
Kaye

Dianne said...

Hi Karen, I've been away from your blog since about mid May when Mike and I travelled back up to Chicago for the summer. For some reason, I just didn't get back to your blog until today. So now I have the equivalent of a binge TV type moment because I can read a bunch of posts at one time.

I wanted to offer congratulations on your becoming a Pink Lioness (is that Lionnessa Rosa in Italian?) It is truly a great milestone in your drive toward becoming a Veneziana. Complimenti and tanti auguri!

karen said...

Thanks, Dianne! I feel as though I've crossed the great divide, and am finally accepted by the locals. Sono quasi veneziana!