We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Sunday, October 6, 2013

It's Acqua Alta time, it's Acqua Alta time.....


Just last week I noticed that the walkways (passerelle) had been brought out of storage and placed strategically around the city, in anticipation of the first Acqua Alta (high water) of the season.

I just checked the weather forecast for tomorrow and guess what!!  Tonight around 12:30 am and again tomorrow around 12:30 pm we're going to get to use those platforms.  Although the forecast is only predicting 105 cm in Venice which means it will only be in the lower areas of the city, it will certainly be in St. Mark's square and Rialto.  Get the boots out everyone!  Happy Acqua Alta season to all!

5 comments:

jodi said...

Saw the water on a webcam this morning at St. Marks Square. Very cool!

karen said...

Isn't that webcam in St Mark's square great? I'll wave to you next time! For first timers in Venice, a little bit of water like we had today is actually a fun experience. However-- it's not so much fun for a tourist id we have significantly high water. Then it's quite frustrating for them, and I understand how rough tzhat kind of a day can be on them .they end up soaked through shoes and clozthes, and usually have to carry luggage on their heads to where they are going since most boats don't run on those days. Tomorrow the forecast is 115 cm..10 more than today. Boots are by the door again ready! Ciao!!!

Dianne said...

I am thinking about coming to Venice again. This time for Carnevale (one of my bucket list items). I understand that the stores sell cheap boots during Acqua Alta season...which stores. With any luck I will again be staying near Campo Santa Margherita and it would be great to know where to go. Unfortunately I don't have need for Wellies here in Florida and it seems a hassle to buy them and then pack them when I have some many other things to bring. I usually try to keep the luggage down to one small roller., my tote bag and if necessary a small backpack.

karen said...

Diane- lots of places will have the green or black rubber WEllington type boots out - and best to pick up a pair the day before when the prices are 15-20 Euros. On a water day, the prices could jack up to 30-40 Euros for the exact same boots.
There is a fantastic little tiny shop run by a little woman in the sottoportego that goes from Campo San Barnaba towards Accademia Bridge, just as soon as you go under the marble arch in the square her shop is on the right side. She has boots and always has them out. Also- lots of kiosk vendors who sell trinkets will have disposable thin plastic boots out. I've seen them as high as 20 Euros per pair, they are very cheap, won't last the whole day.

Dianne said...

Thanks Karen. I have made note of the little shop and will probably stop there when I first get to Venice. How often does acqua alta happen in February.? I know it has something to do with the moon and tides