We've moved from Baltimore, Maryland USA to Venice, Italy in pursuit of living our dream!



Thursday, April 8, 2010

Buona Pasqua - Belated


Happy Easter and Buona Pasqua, tutti!!

Each holiday season there is something new and glorious to experience here. Shop windows all over Venice have been filled with Easter eggs small and large, but none surpassed this one in the front window of Dogheria Moscari. This g-inormous chocolate egg stands about 2 1/2 feet tall and I feel like a kid again, wanting it for myself as I stand and admire it every time I pass by the shop. Life is good.

As a kid in New Jersey, I remember my mom getting an egg like this at Easter time, I don't remember if it was shipped over from her family still in the "old country", or if there was an Italian bakery in the neighborhood producing them. I have to remember to ask her, see if she recalls. I clearly remember seeing an egg like this in the house with "Auguri " written on it. We were the only kids on the block with an egg like that. Years have gone by. I haven't thought about those eggs for the entire duration, and here I am, drooling over those fantastic eggs again. I'm in a little bit of heaven.

I know, this post is about a week late - Easter was this past Sunday. I've been busy with the visit of my 82 yr old mother and two sisters from America!!! This is not their first visit to Italy, but it is their first visit to me since I've moved. I've been excited to share my new home with them, and my new city for a few days. After 4 days here in Venice, they all went on to La Spezia for a few days visit with old family members. I spent Easter Sunday on the train to Rome where we all met up to continue the next leg of the vacation. More about all that in upcoming posts.

No comments: